New Mexico Arts Commission
The New Mexico Arts Commission is the advisory body for New Mexico Arts, a division of the Department of Cultural Affairs. The Commission has 15 members appointed by the governor. Commissioners serve three-year terms.
The mission of the Arts Commission, in conjunction with New Mexico Arts, is to stimulate opportunities for artists, arts organizations, and other groups for activities or projects to provide artistic or cultural services to the state, to maintain and encourage artistic excellence, and to promote awareness of and access to the arts for all of the people of New Mexico.
- Advises the New Mexico Arts Director, Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA), and state government in general, including the Governor.
- Advises the Division Director on all division policies, after receiving information requisite to such advice.
- Is consulted regarding disbursement of program funds.
- Is kept informed regarding the financial affairs of the division.
- Consults with the Division Director prior to the Director approving, disapproving, or modifying the distribution of grant funds.
- Works as a team with the Division Director to accomplish the mission of New Mexico Arts.
- Advocates for New Mexico Arts to home communities, DCA, and New Mexico government in general.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable about laws governing the commission, by-laws of the commission, and commission policies.
- Responsible for approval or rejection of applications for designation of Arts and Cultural Districts.
The Arts Commission holds quarterly meetings, usually in January, February/March, May/June, and November. A Planning and Budget Committee meeting is held in May to review grant funding. Meetings are open to the public.
New Mexico Arts Commission Calendar
- Thu, Feb 9, 2023 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - Santa Fe - Joan Vernick Auditorium, Museum of International Folk Art, 706 Camino Lejo, Santa Fe, NM 87501 and via Zoom meeting. Register here. Meeting Agenda
- Thu, May 11, 2023 - Planning and Budget Committee Meeting, 1:00pm - Zoom
- Thu, June 1, 2023 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - Approval of funding for FY2024 contracts - location TBD
- Thu, August 24, 2023 - Regular Meeting, 9:30am - location TBD
- Thu, Nov 16, 2023 - Annual Meeting, 9:30am - Officers Election - location TBD
The New Mexico Arts Commission Regular Meeting Announcement and Agenda February 9, 2023